Saturday, 21 September 2013

Waikouaiti and Palmerston - Operation FOSSIC

Last week I loaded up the car with some random CDs (North Mississippi Allstars, The Band, Omar & The Howlers, Boban I Marko Markovic, The Fiery Furnaces, William Bell, James Brown, Ace 30th birthday celebration, Al Green, The Mannish Boys, and Bettye Lavette) and set off on my big road trip to Canterbury, Operation FOSSIC (Fabulous Opshops and Secondhand Shops Of Canterbury). For those who don't know NZ, Canterbury is the province north of ours (Otago), and has a population about three times ours, so I was hoping there would be three times the number of op shops that we have.
The first stop was Waikouaiti, where I found a couple of vases in The Oddity:

I saw this wall vase the last time I was in Waik a couple of months ago, so I was pleased it was still there.
She was $5, and has a bit of damage to her lapel, but I love her, especially her golden shoe.
She has a certain insouciance.
She looks like she could be from the 1940s.
My first (of many!) deer was $10. How cute is that?

 Then it was onward to Palmerston, where I found the first of my Crown Lynn scores.
The green and yellow Sorrento mug in the middle was $1 from the grimiest shop I have ever been into, Trash Converters.
I've photographed it with my orange Sorrento mugs and white plate.
 
The next stop was Oamaru. I'll leave you with a wee taste of its architecture.
 The Foundation of the Blind.

 The Catholic church.
  I wonder what a holy shop sells? Holiness?

7 comments:

  1. Ooh I can't wait for the rest of the posts! I love the dancing girl vase. I sooo miss Canterbury opshops, although now that I've discovered Taranaki opshops I think they might be as good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that church looks amazing! also, the little deer.. how cute!

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbitblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Holy Shop looks quite tiny, so I guess there is only a limited supply of holiness...
    Love your top-hatted lady vase and the mugs. Good shopping! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, the lady vase is absolutely fantastically gorgeous - what a great find. The bambi vase is so cute, but the lady, she has something else. Reminds me of Marlene Dietrich. The sky above the holy shop is just out of this world. The first photo with the art deco house next door just showing - wow, that is some thing I would hand on my wall. By the way the acronym is very clever. I feel like I need to take a week off or more and go back to Temuka and Mayfield (I think) which is where the Squirrels once visited and said was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh South Island - how I love you! I love that wee dancing lady and I think Oamaru is one of my favourite places in the world. So many beautiful buildings and treasures to be had. Sounds like a lovely road trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just catching up....LOVE the first vase, it's super cute!
    I'm fascinated by the Holy Shop.....XXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm practically salivating over the deer vase....exquisite! I must admit when we visited Oamaru for the first time last year I didn't think much of it. I loved the architecture but was expecting more of a vintage scene. I fell in love with Temuka this visit though. SO much fun! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy!