Sunday, 11 August 2013

Sustainability begins with Preservation.

A few weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon I mooched along Moray Place and Princes Street for some window retail therapy.
No second-hand or antique shops but lots of galleries and quirky shops.
This building on Princes St is being lovingly renovated.
The sign reads "Sustainability begins with Preservation".
I couldn't have put it better myself.
We have a handful of developers here who are restoring our heritage buildings rather than knocking them down (see my recent post on Christchurch).
 
This fashion shop, Dada, has a brilliant coat hanger sculpture.

 And some stunning jewellery.
With some fun mannequins.

This is a flower shop with a striking display of vintage china cups.
(It's closed, hence the lack of flowers.) 

Above and below, Moray Gallery with some funky art and crafts.


First Church (yes it was the firrrst church in Dunedin!), Moray Place.
My parents were married here.

 
A painting by Frank Gordon in Gallery De Novo.
 

A painting of an art deco building by Nic Dempster.

 Another painting in Gallery De Novo.
Sorry I'm not sure who the artist is but it looks like an Angela Burns.

 The former Public Trust building, Moray Place.
I think my grandfather worked here as an accountant.
Queens Building, Princes St.

 Variety Handcrafts, a really old-school craft shop, where your nana might sell her work.
Love it.

Design Withdrawals, a fabulous craft gallery. 

.
The former synagogue.
Many of our early prominent families were Jewish, for example: Hallenstein, Brasch, Fels, Benjamin, Siedeberg, Isaacs, Bing, Harris, Theomin, Vogel, Joel, Farjeon, Cohen, de Beer.
We have the world's southernmost permanent synagogue.

This building, Kirkland Chambers, caused a few headaches when it was first painted bright blue, but now that I'm used to it I really like it (even though it's not indigo).
 
Dunedin has fallen on hard times, with a recent massive increase in unemployment.
Central government has caused the closure of local post offices, a mail sorting centre, a railway manufacturer, and may downsize an agricultural research facility.
It's always been a city which elects left-of-centre politicians, and the current right-wing government hasn't been winning any friends recently.
Fortunately there are a lot of interesting, artistic people here which gives it a great quality of life.
Currently we are showing an international film festival, and it's really hard to decide what to see.
On the first day there were six films I wanted to see, but I only made it to one (Stories we tell, directed by Sarah Polley).
 
Until next time,
IV
XXX
 


9 comments:

  1. Oh I do love this beautiful city......I am so pleased we live so close....you have shown some of my truly favourite places.....the Nanna knit place being at the top of the list.
    Yay!!!!!! I think Dunedin is on the cusp of a whole new era and its going to be amazing.........
    Love V

    ReplyDelete
  2. O, I love that Frank Gordon painting!!! EEEK!
    Nice to see some restoration rather than rip, shit and bust!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the painting too - my friend S is lucky enough to own one of his paintings. One day maybe...

      Delete
  3. Oh I DO LOVE your little city - if we could find jobs there, we would be living there RIGHT now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow thank you for the tour...so fascinating.....I am full of admiration...Daisy J x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing those great places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice interesting post - Great places
    NZ is not familiar to me but what i have seen so far is wonderful!

    Ariane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such lovely photos of some of the shops, galleries and buildings which Dunedin has for us to admire, it looks like a great place. Loving the art and the ceramics, and those mannequins' faces! xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy!