Tuesday, 25 June 2013

A Midwinter carnival and the Starlight Clothing Service mail-order catalogue.

Last weekend was the longest night, and to celebrate my niece and I went to a Scandinavian film called The Hunt, and then to the midwinter carnival.
The Hunt is an amazing film starring Mads Mikkelson, and is about the violence and paranoia which is just under the surface of society. It was one of the best films I have seen in the past year, and I can't recommend it highly enough. 
Here's a photo of Mads for the ladies:
 He's not that broad-shouldered in real life!
 
The midwinter carnival was great, although being quite short I couldn't see much. There were lanterns, stilt walkers, a brass band, fireworks, and dancers, all parading around the Octagon.

 A ship lantern and some stilt walkers with illuminated crinolines.

 Two stilt walkers with illuminated canoes.
 
 A flock of bird lanterns.
 
A balloon lantern.
 
It was just what we needed after the atrocious weather we've been having.
 
A fellow bibliophile tried to give me this 1963 catalogue from the Starlight Clothing Service of Hong Kong, (along with a lot of other fashion history books) but I insisted on paying her for them.
 I admit it doesn't look like much from the cover!
 Some lovely cane handbags.
 Swatches of fabric in the back so you can order the right colour!
 Reversible raincoats for shine or showers.
 Beaded gloves and beaded sweaters (be still my beating heart).
Beaded and embroidered sweaters.
Curiously, Tinker, a fellow Dunedin blogger, recently found a similar catalogue from the Wayston Company of Hong Kong.
 
Adios amigos, and I hope you are all well.
Violet
XXX

6 comments:

  1. Oh that lantern parade looks like a lot of fun! I love midwinter festivals (they make me leave my house when all I want to do is hide!) also that old fashion catalogue is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bugger, I couldn't see Mads, and I have quite the crush on him!! Must see that film, it looks awesome.
    Lovely to have a cheery festival in this shitey weather...I'm so over it...
    Fabulous catalogue, what a great score! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry the photo isn't showing - I'll get my paparazzi onto it.

      Delete
  3. Oh the festival looked lovely.....the lanterns are beautiful.
    The fashion catalogue is amazing.........I look at them and just want to order everything.
    Stay warm and have a lovely rest of the week.
    love V

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! Yes, it's very similar to the one I found. If only we could go back in time....

    ReplyDelete
  5. The festival looks fabulous, and that catalogue is wonderful, love the illustrations. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy!