Monday, 6 May 2013

Melbourne part 6 - architectural heaven

Last year I had a heavenly holiday in Melbourne, and it's taken me a while to get around to the grand finale - you could say I've been building up to it (bada bing!)
I meandered through the laneways and the eastern end of the city, nicknamed the Paris end, and then popped over to Fitzroy.
 I love this Lichtenstein style graffiti in a laneway near the Flinders St Station.
 
 These magnificent bird sculptures stand guard outside the Grand Hyatt.
They are The Guardians by Bruce Armstrong.
If I were a religious person, I would say they are Divine.
Very hard to photograph - I had to stand in the middle of the street.

 Milton House, a jewel of an Art Nouveau brick building, set in a soulless high-rise canyon.
Look closely at how the upper windows suggest trees in pots.
The front door surround is sinuously curved.
I swooned when I saw this building!
It was built in 1901 as a private hospital in Flinders Lane for an eminent Melbourne surgeon.
 
 A fabulous mural at the entrance to the Temperance & General Life Assurance building in Collins St., painted by Napier Waller in 1928-1929.
I can see a strong Pre-Raphaelite influence in this work.
According to some sources, he lost his right arm in France in WWI, and made this artwork with his left hand. 
"Better Than to Squander Life's Gifts is to Conserve Them and Ensure a Fearless Future shows a group of figures, an old man, two woman and a young boy in a orchard setting with other figure in the background tending the land and watching the sheep" (source:  Melbourne Art Deco ).
 
 Collins St Baptist Church.
Note that the moneylenders (aka Rutherford Pearls) have taken over the basement of the temple!
Built in 1862, unusually in the style of a classical temple with Corinthian columns.
The congregation are still going strong - they have an entertaining facebook page.
 
 An intriguingly named bar in Brunswick St, "Naked For Satan".
Named after Leon Satanovich, a vodka moonshine distiller during the Great Depression, who legend says was a stranger to the shirt in the sweltering distillery.
 The windows feature a gorgeous copper still and Spanish pastries.

  And finally another beautiful turreted building in Brunswick St. 
I don't know anything about it, except it houses the Black Cat restaurant.
So it's goodbye to Melbourne, and here's hoping I can revisit soon!
I'm sure their op shops are missing my custom.
 
Violet.

5 comments:

  1. Melbourne looks amazing, great art and buildings. That Art Deco building is beautiful. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I love Melbourne - I had a great holiday there last year (?) or was it the year before. Anyway, architecturally it is amazing. So artistic and vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this tour of Melbourne. My favourite photo is of the birds. It's almost as though they're just hanging out in front of the building. Great framing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love Melbourne....thank you for the lovely tour.....it really is a special city.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    love V

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! Isn't it marvellous? Helga and I spent the entire time pointing out Victorian lacework and bricks and ceiling roses and columns and windows and doorways and and and and and...

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy!