Saturday, 30 March 2013

An Easter bunny poem

An Easter basket from the Columba College Fair
I am a bad rabbit
I am a mad rabbit
I am a lazy rabbit
I am a baby rabbit
Mummy is a bad rabbit
Mummy is a sad rabbit
because I am a bad rabbit
who has got a bad habbit
for being a bad rabbit
a mad rabbit a lazy
rabbit a baby rabbit

That was written by me aged 6, so please forgive the spelling mistake. Why oh why did my parents not get me therapy as soon as they read that?

I was obviously obsessed by clothes from a young age. Here's me aged 6 or 7:

Santa's on his way
I am a little fairy called Fluttery Flie. I work at Santa's workshop. I thought to myself, I will make a doll for Jane, a dollshouse for Debra, and a Sindy outfit for Elizabeth's Sindy doll. So I set to work making them. I nearly forgot a gun for Peter and a book for Susan. I was very busy. At last Santa came. He was ready to take the toys to the boys and girls. I asked Santa if I could go with him. He told me of course I could. I always wanted to go with him on his journey. At last I had a chance to see the children. I was very happy indeed.

Who's lazy and bad now? But why would I give a gun to a two year old?
I certainly remember being obsessed with interested in fairies, animals and books as well as clothes and hats. Talk about a shallow child!
They are hiding!


You can see why I never pursued a career as an artist!

My mother died twelve years ago, at Easter, so the story on the left hand side makes me a bit sad.
Over on the right hand side, I was a little confused over the Queen and the Queen Mother.
And I was into science fiction too, when I was five:

One day I will go to the moon said Susan to herself. I will go in a rocket to the moon. There will be windows in the rocket. I will wear a space helmet.

(Space travel is no longer one of my ambitions, nor is flying in Santa's sleigh.)
Maybe I wrote that after seeing the latest Pierre Cardin collection in Mum's Woman's Weekly. (Television was a late arrival in NZ, we didn't get one till the mid 60s).
 
So now I'm writing a blog, which seems like a natural progression from this little exercise book covered in palest green wallpaper with white polkadots and snowdrops. What do you think, do I have another literary masterpiece in my future?

The weather so far this Easter has been perfect, and I'm very excited, as my youngest brother, who wasn't born when the above blockbuster was created, is arriving from Australia tomorrow with two of his children, aged 7 and 5. Maybe I'll show them my first book!

Violet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy!