Tuesday, 11 December 2012

Images of the past- Victorian and Edwardian fashion.

Today I went to a fashion parade with a difference. Most of the models had sewed their own costumes, which are replicas of Victorian and Edwardian designs. The former Otago Settlers' Museum has just re-opened after a lengthy renovation, and this was part of the celebration.

But first you must indulge me by looking at some pictures of my Scottish immigrant great-grandparents, William and Helen Wilson.



Here they are in the centre.



I was blown away when I came across this hand-tinted photo.

Now here are the lovely costumes:

This looks like it was inspired by a painting by Seurat.
Love that hat.

Note the tatted lace trim.
Purple and grey - tres elegant.


Violet!
One of my favourites. This was beautifully made.


In the background is the engine "Josephine".
Note the crystal beading.
Burgundy with diamante trim
Purple with appliqued lace and a My Fair Lady hat
Caped crusaders.
 
It was inspiring seeing the way these women had put so much creativity and skill into their outfits.
 
Violet
XXX

2 comments:

  1. Oh what amazing dresses!!!! It must have been wonderful to see them in the museum on parade. The new museum is such a treat with so many great things on display.
    Thanks for telling me you had theses images sweet.
    Love V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful women, wonderful dresses. And thanks for sharing your family photos!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy!