Sunday, 16 September 2012

Melbourne part 3, with Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris

When in Melbourne, it is compulsory to go and see a musical show (or so my workmates tell me). I'm not really into "Annie", which has probably been running for decades, so I decided to go to Grievous Angel, which was a Gram Parsons tribute show. I managed to score a half-price ticket, due to my canny Scots heritage. More about the show later - first here are some random shots of Sydney Road:


Classy!
 

Melbourne cycle lanes are scary.






I had a bit of time to kill before the show so I popped into Pellegrini's on the recommendation of a friend who grew up in Melbourne. It's an old-school Italian restauraunt and hasn't changed in years. Unfortunately there was some sort of photo shoot going on, and I felt like a spare wheel, so I didn't stay.

The show was at the Athenaeum Theatre which is a gorgeous theatre next to the town hall.
This photo was in the foyer - love the uniforms. What I also loved were the outfits of some people in the audience - one woman had a onesie covered in multicoloured polkadots and her friend had tights with technicolour hearts. Both sported ugg boots and berets. I was too chicken to ask for a photo! You can tell I'm new to this blogging lark.
I enjoyed the Gram Parsons show and even bought a CD - I am a huge Gram fan so wasn't expecting much to be honest but was pleasantly surprised. The only thing which let the production down was "Emmylou's" costume, it wasn't of the right period.
I don't know what it is about Melbourne, but a lot of people seem to dodge the fares on trams. It's not as if they are expensive, compared to my home town anyway.
The next day I went to Shepparton - more pix coming soon.
 
Violet XXX.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a blast, don't worry about pictures, I've been blogging for 3 years and still forget to take any! Melbourne looks gorgeous, very European adn grand.
    Grizzly Bear were good but if I'm honest went on for about 20 minutes longer than necessary! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Melbourne is stunning, due to the gold rush I'd say. The historic buildings are similar to Dunedin's, but on a much grander scale. I would love to go back there soon.
      I hear what you are saying about Grizzly Bear, they can go on a bit. Still we are starved for decent international acts down here. Alabama Shakes are coming to Auckland so maybe I'll go to them too.
      By the way, I'm a big fan of your blog!

      Delete

Don't be shy!